The purpose of the Business Analysis is to provide the client with an unbiased evaluation of the customer service or business operation and action steps to leverage strengths as well as correct deficiencies. The client deliverable is a comprehensive written and verbal presentation of findings, discoveries, recommendations, suggested operational changes, and action items that will improve customer satisfaction, employee satisfaction, and profitability. The auditing consultant has the following objectives throughout the Analysis:
1) Determine what the management believes the mission, goals, and objectives of the organization to be. (STRATEGY).
2) Test to see if the employees are operating under the management's objectives. (TACTICAL).
3) Test to see if the customer is receiving the service/products that the company believes it's delivering (PRODUCT).
4) Examine the PROCESSES established to deliver the service or product in a timely, quality, and profitable manner.
5) Examine the methods used to MEASURE success, failure, and achievement of strategic objectives: customer satisfaction, profitability, and employee satisfaction.
6) Examine the ability to COMMUNICATE up/down the organization, intra/inter department, and to/from the customer; goals, objectives, information and expectations.
7) Evaluate the feasibility of CHANGING SERVICES or products to better meet the needs of the customers and improve profits or control costs.
8) Evaluate the knowledge WORKER'S ENTHUSIASM AND MOTIVATION to deliver their products and services in a high quality and efficient manner.
9) Evaluate how knowledge workers and managers are COMPENSATED, REWARDED, AND MEASURED.
10) Evaluate TRAINING: completeness, timeliness, and relevancy.
11) Evaluate INFORMATION used to make tactical and strategic decisions.
12) Create a STRENGTHS, WEAKNESSES, OPPORTUNITIES, and THREATS (SWOT) analysis.
The logical next step following the Business Analysis is the Process Re-engineering.
The time necessary for the Business Analysis is dependent on the size of the support operation, geographic dispersion, and the specific business focus the client desires.